30 Questions with Taramisu
Updated: Apr 18, 2019
I asked you guys to ask me any food related question or otherwise and here are my responses. I hope you enjoy 💖 There's a slightly amusing video in the answer to question no. 23.
1. Is there any food that you don't like?
I haaaaate zucchinis, french beans and cheese. I'm usually very fussy about textures; and the textures of both zucchinis and french beans really put me off. I don't like the feeling they leave in my mouth; everytime I chew on them I feel like my teeth are going to fall off. YUCK!! For the cheese, I just don't like how it smells. I still eat pizza though.
2. Buffalo wings or BBQ wings?
BBQ wings any day 😍
3. What or rather who, ignited your passion for food?
To be honest, I just love eating and I love everything about food- the taste, texture and the different ways you can play with ingredients. But I also love writing, so I decided to combine the two into a documentation of my food journey.
4. Have you ever considered being a food critic?
No, I've never seen myself as a food critic. But maybe I'll become one in the near future.
5. Why did you take so long to start a food blog?
I always wanted to start a food blog but I wasn't sure of myself for a long time. But this year, I decided to take a leap of faith and see where it takes me.
6. How do you gauge quality of service at a restaurant?
The first thing I check is the politeness and friendliness of the staff at the door. Then I look at the decor; have they paid attention to detail? How clean is the restaurant? Also, I check on the speediness of their service; from there I can tell whether a restaurant is of high quality or not. But also, sometimes, the outside appearance doesn't determine the quality of the food; because there are some kibandas that have some bomb ass food!!
7. What's the recipe for the smoothie?
The smoothie recipes are coming in a future post, so stay tuned x
8. Pineapples on pizza?
Pineapples belong on pizza, I don't want any hate or drama pls 👏 Pineapples on pizza = perfection. No cap.
9. What inspired you to start this blog?
I just love eating good food and I want to share it with as many people as possible.
10. What was your first encounter with smoothies and what got you to start making yours?
The first encounter with smoothies was from my childhood when my mum would obsess over healthy after-school smoothies with carrot, moringa powder, beetroot, ginger and kale. AND I HATED THEM!!! But I started making my own when I needed a fast and delicious way to get in the weight gain calories.
11. YouTube page as well or just a blog?
For now, just the blog. But I'll be uploading IGTV videos from time to time.
12. What are your aspirations and ambitions?
Maybe a food magazine of my own in the future.
13. How did you get into photography?
A friend of mine suggested that I should try it- back in 2014; and I've been in love with photography ever since. I started with portrait photography then ventured into food photography and just got stuck there.
14. What would be the best thing to eat when stressed?
I normally don't stress eat. But when I'm feeling low and moody, I run to Marita's Bhajias in Magharibi place. Those bhajias really lift my mood.
15. Top 3 restaurants in Nairobi that you love.
3. Street Bistro at Alchemist- those chips of theirs slap differently after a night out of dancing!!
16. What are your favourite go to affordable restaurants, (i.e under Ksh. 1000)?
I'm actually in the process of making a post about this; and I have a whole list. But so far, Tamtam Fresh Fish & Seafood along Naivasha Road is one of my favourites.
17. Do you diet? Or rather eat healthy?
My mum is a real health freak so, at home, I eat healthy by fire by force 😂 The only dieting I have ever done is a weight gain diet that I'm currently trying to pursue.
18. What apps do you use to edit your pictures? + what phone do you use?
I use Snapseed, Lightroom, VSCO Cam, PicsArt, Polarr and Rookie Cam. They all have one or two separate features that I love. 98% of my pictures are taken on my iPhone 6s but I'll be using a Canon EOS 80D to take photos of food that I'll post on the blog because it produces better quality pictures.
19. How did you get a strong following on IG?
I've grown my following by engaging with other accounts by commenting on their posts and giving them useful feedback. I also use a lot of hashtags that are relevant to my content- that helps me get like minded accounts to find me on the explore page. I also make sure to post content regularly.
20. Where do you get the money to eat like this?
I go for most of the foodventures with my family. But I save a large chunk of my pocket money to take care of my own food bills if I'm eating on my own or with friends.
21. Is Carnival in Brazil on your bucket list?
22. What's your ideal comfort meal?
Spaghetti and meatballs with homemade tomato sauce and lots of garlic.
23. Do you really stand on chairs when taking photos of food at restaurants?
24. I need new breakfast options, help me out!!!
Coming soon to a blog post near you!! But you can try Le Grenier a Pain along Riverside drive for starters.
25. Is the blog about the food you make or about the places that you have visited and have great food?
Both. It'll be about all things food.
26. Ever tasted Pineapple Crumble?
Nope, but I'm very keen on finding the Pineapple Crumble that will change my life.
27. What are your favourite foods?
The Italian cuisine has my heart. Pasta is my number 1, all pastas matter to me; and pizza, 😍 pizza is my everything. I also adore sushi.
28. What do you like cooking?
Chicken fajita pasta, it's also one of my favourite dishes to eat.
29. What's your favourite culinary experience?
I haven't had one yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy learning how to make sushi then eat what I made.
30. What country- that you have visited has the best cuisine?
Mauritius. I just loved the mix of cultures that were represented in their food. They had Chinese food and Indian food and many snacks that were a mix of both. I ate a lot of street food during my stay there and the kebabs were the most delicious foods I ever tasted; I ate them everyday. Also, the cold drinks were a lifesaver because that country is so hot!!
I hope this Q&A post helped you know a little bit more about me. I had a lot of fun doing this and I'm excited to share my foodventures and recipes with you guys.